Klinik für endovaskuläre Neurochirurgie
PD Dr. med G. Baltsavias is the Director of Endovascular Neurosurgery at the INI – International Neuroscience Institute® in Hannover.
He is a neurosurgeon specialized in neuroendovascular operations (embolizations).
Dr. Baltsavias completed his basic neurosurgical training in Greece at General hospital of Athens in 1997 and subsequently received his neuroendovascular training in several leading centers of Interventional Neuroradiology – Endovascular Neurosurgery, at
- the University Hospital of Vienna (AKH), Neurosurgical Dept, Vienna, Austria (1997-8) under Prof. W. Koos and Prof. B. Richling
- the Beth Israel Medical Center, Dept. of Neuroendovascular Surgery, NYC, USA (1998) under Prof. A. Berenstein
- the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford University, Neuroradiology Dept, Oxford, UK (1999) under Prof. J. Byrne and Dr. A. Molyneux
- the Christian Doppler Medical Center, Neurosurgical Dept. Salzburg, Austria (2000) under Prof. B. Richling
He founded and served as the Head of the Neuroendovascular Unit at the Interbalkan European Medical Center, Thessaloniki, Greece from 2001 to 2008.
During this period, he completed the distinguished PL Lasjaunias’s Master Course in Neurovascular Diseases (2005-7). In the same frame, he completed his Dissertation on endovascular treatment of giant basilar aneurysms at Service de Neuroradiologie, Hôpital Lariboisière, Paris, France (2007) under Prof. E. Houdart and he was granted the Diplome InterUniversitaire – International Diploma in Neurovascular Disease from Paris XI Sud University and Mahidol University in 2007.
In 2009, Dr. Baltsavias was appointed Oberarzt at the eminent Institute of Neuroradiology, University Hospital Zurich, under Prof. A. Valavanis. In this department, he completed his Medical Doctorate in 2011. In 2016, his Habilitation on Dural Arteriovenous Fistulae was approved by the Medical School of Zurich University and the “venia legendi” was bestowed. Since then and until October 2017, Dr. Baltsavias served as Leitender Arzt and the Head of Interventional Neuroradiology in the department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland.
Since November 2017, he is the Director of Endovascular Neurosurgery at the INI – International Neuroscience Institute® in Hannover, Germany.
PD Dr. med G. Baltsavias is an expert with great experience in the whole spectrum of endovascular treatment of Neurovascular diseases and Head and Neck vascular pathologies and more specifically in:
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformations (AVM)
- Cranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulae (CDAVF)
- Acute Ischemic Stroke Thrombectomies
- Arteriovenous Shunts and Malformations of the V. Galen in newborns and children
- Spinal Arteriovenous Malformations (SAVM) Spinal Dural Arteriovenous Fistulae (SDAVF)
- Stenosis of Neck and Intracranial Vessels
- Traumatic Arteriovenous Fistulae of the Head and Neck
- Hemangiomas and Vascular Malformations of the Head, Face and Neck
- Vascular Tumors of the Brain, Skull base and Neck, i.e. Meningiomas, Hemangioblastomas, Glomus Tumors, Neurinomas, Juvenile Angiofibromas etc.
PD Dr. Baltsavias has been invited in numerous international meetings, workshops and congresses as a speaker. He is a reviewer of several international medical journals as Neurology, AJNR – American Journal of Neuroradiology, Neurosurgical review, Scientific Reports – Nature, Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, Interventional Neuroradiology, European Journal of Neurology, BMJ Case reports etc.
He is a member of the World Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology, European Association of Neurosurgical Societies, American Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Swiss Neuroradiological Society, Hellenic Neurosurgical Society.